Maine Universities Block Transgender Athletes from Women’s Sports After Trump Funding Pause; Maine Universities Cave, Won’t Allow Trans-Identifying Men To Compete In Women’s Sports
Maine universities block transgender athletes from women’s sports after Trump funding pause:
The U.S. Department of Agriculture announced Wednesday that the University of Maine System (UMS) has agreed to comply with President Donald Trump’s executive order to keep transgender athletes out of women’s sports.
UMS, a network of eight public universities in Maine, was subject to a temporary pause in funding from the USDA last week during an ongoing battle between the state and the federal government over trans inclusion in women’s and girls’ sports.
The funding was reinstated just days later.
The USDA now claims the UMS is in full compliance with Trump’s executive order.
“After the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) initiated a Title IX compliance review regarding federal funding, the University of Maine System (UMaine) has clearly communicated its compliance with Title IX’s requirement to protect equal opportunities for women and girls to compete in safe and fair sports, as articulated in President Donald J. Trump’s Executive Order,” the USDA said in its announcement.
“Any false claim by the UMaine can, and will, result in onerous and even potentially criminal financial liability.”
UMS Chancellor Dannel Malloy provided a statement to Fox News Digital, saying the system is “relieved” to have come to an understanding with the USDA.
“The University of Maine System has always maintained its compliance with state and federal laws and with NCAA rules, which the U.S. Department of Agriculture also affirmed in a press release today,” said Chancellor Malloy. —>READ MORE HERE
Maine Universities Cave, Won’t Allow Trans-Identifying Men To Compete In Women’s Sports:
Eight public Universities in Maine have caved to President Donald Trump’s order and will no longer allow trans-identifying men to compete in women’s sports.
A statement from the United States Department of Agriculture said that the University of Maine System (UMaine) will follow the Trump administration’s order barring trans-identifying men from competing in women’s sports after university funding was paused amid the state’s continued refusal to comply, Fox News reported.
“After the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) initiated a Title IX compliance review regarding federal funding, the University of Maine System (UMaine) has clearly communicated its compliance with Title IX’s requirement to protect equal opportunities for women and girls to compete in safe and fair sports, as articulated in President Donald J. Trump’s Executive Order,” the USDA statement read.
“Any false claim by the UMaine can, and will, result in onerous and even potentially criminal financial liability,” it added.
University of Maine System Chancellor Dannel Malloy told Fox News that it was “relieved” to have come to an understanding with the USDA.
Maine universities agree to keep transgender athletes out of women’s sports after Trump admin pauses funding https://t.co/Cza7qhYLag
— Fox News (@FoxNews) March 21, 2025
“The University of Maine System has always maintained its compliance with state and federal laws and with NCAA rules, which the U.S. The Department of Agriculture also affirmed in a press release today,” Malloy said.
“We are relieved to put the Department’s Title IX compliance review behind us so the land-grant University of Maine and our statewide partners can continue to leverage USDA and other essential federal funds to strengthen and grow our natural resource economy and dependent rural communities through world-class education, research, and extension,” the chancellor added. —>READ MORE HERE
Comments are closed.